Paediatric dietitian Kath Megaw’s Real Food, Healthy, Happy Children (Quivertree, 2015) is insightful, well researched and offers tasty menus and food options for children, then casts its net wider to include your entire family. This cheesy taco recipe is one your kids will love.
Makes 4 tacos
Turn these tacos into cheese nachos by dropping tablespoons of grated Parmesan onto a hot pan and cooking until golden. Remove the pan from the heat for 30 seconds, then flip the crisps and return to the heat to brown the other side.
- 200g Parmesan, freshly grated
- Spicy mince
- Guacamole (see below)
- Sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
Makes 1½ cups
- 2 large, ripe avocados, flesh coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe red tomato, skinned and chopped
- 1 mild fresh chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- Salt and milled pepper, to taste
- A small handful fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- Sprinkle ½ cup grated Parmesan onto a medium-hot non-stick pan, spreading to form a thin layer. The cheese will melt and bubble and start to brown at the edges.
- Remove the pan from the heat for half a minute until the cheese has firmed just enough to mould. Carefully lift and turn over ramekins to cool and crisp.
- To assemble: Fill with spicy mince and top with guacamole, salsa, sour cream and shredded lettuce.
For confidential assistance, contact your CAREWAYS EMPLOYEE WELLNESS PROGRAMME; SMS your name to 31581 and the Care Centre will call you back.
The information is shared on condition that readers will make their own determination, including seeking advice from a healthcare professional.