Try this recipe, taken from 2000 Healthy Meals by Penguin Random House South Africa. These pretty, light, refreshing salads served wrapped in cucumber slices make refreshing appetisers for a summer meal.
- 2 small cucumbers
- 4–6 leaves green or red loose-leaf lettuce
- 1 apple, cut into 12 wedges
- 1 carrot, cut into long, thin sticks
- 1 pear, cut into long, thin sticks
- 1 avocado, cut into wedges
- 200g smoked salmon
- 8 chives
- Wash the cucumbers and peel 8 or so thin slices lengthwise from each one. Use the outer slices and the seed-filled centres for another purpose (such as a salad).
- Lay 12 slices side by side and sprinkle with salt.
- Wash the lettuce leaves and shake dry. Divide each leaf into 2–3 pieces, discarding the central vein.
- To make the cucumber rolls, lay a slice of cucumber on a work surface, top with an apple wedge, a few carrot and pear sticks, a slice of avocado, a little lettuce, and a slice of smoked salmon.
- Roll up and tie with a chive. Stand the roll upright on a plate.
- Repeat with the other cucumber slices and serve.