Reading time: ±2 min.
Staying on course throughout the year can seem impossible if you’ve previously failed to follow through. Here’s how to stay motivated to reach your year-end goals.
Follow these 5 steps to help steer your year in the right direction:
1. Identify your work goals
Visualise where you see yourself at year-end, then write down how you can get there. When you have this on paper, you’ll be able to formulate practical strategies around how to reach your end goal.
2. Know the why
Why did you start? Why can’t you give up? Why is this important to you? Make a list of your reasons for achieving a certain goal and stick it on the fridge or in your room as a reminder. Identifying your reasons for pursuing a goal is vital to a good start and maintaining momentum. There may be challenges along the way, but having these answers at the ready can help you get back on track.
3. Review your schedule
Pay attention to what you spend your time doing at work, and note how long you spend on certain tasks. This will help you to decide if your time has been allocated accordingly and how you can make adjustments to your productivity goals. It will also give you a good idea of what you can achieve over the year if you continue at the same pace.
4. Track your progress
Break up big goals into smaller milestones to make them more achievable. Keep a record of your progress. Seeing the results as you invest more time and energy is a great confidence booster and will encourage you to keep going.
5. If at first you don’t succeed, try again
There will always be challenges along the way, but don’t throw in the towel. When you feel like giving up, ask yourself why. Are you feeling tired? Are you overworked? Have you had too many setbacks? Figuring out the reason can help you sort through negative feelings and boost your motivation. It’s always a good idea to talk to a professional such as a mental health expert who may be able to help you through.
Find out more about productivity here:
The information is shared on condition that readers will make their own determination, including seeking advice from a professional. E&OE.
- Zimmerman, A. (2016). 4 Great Ways to Stay Motivated All Year Long. [online] Inc. Available at: https://www.inc.com/angelina-zimmerman/4-great-ways-to-stay-motivated-all-year-long.html [Accessed 30 November 2020].
- Daskal, L. (2016). 19 Highly Effective Ways to Stay Motivated. [online] Inc. Available at: https://www.inc.com/lolly-daskal/19-simple-ways-to-stay-motivated-that-actually-work.html [Accessed 30 November 2020].
- Health Direct. (2020). Motivation: How to Get Started and Staying Motivated. [online] Available at: https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/motivation-how-to-get-started-and-staying-motivated [Accessed 30 November 2020].
- Knobelman, D. (2020). How to Set Goals and Achieve Them Successfully. [online] Lifehack. Available at: https://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/how-set-goals-10-steps-stay-focused.html [Accessed 30 November 2020]